Management of Personal Information
GEMSAS is an on-line application and matching system which is managed by an independent contractor, (‘Service Provider’), for the GAMSAT Consortium Universities.
The kinds of personal information that Service Provider collects and holds
The Service Provider collects and holds information that you provide. This information can be provided in a variety of ways including:
• If you visit the GEMSAS website to read or download information the website service provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes – your server address, the name of the top level domain name from which you access the internet (e.g. com, gov, edu, uk, au), the date and time you access the site, the pages you access and documents you download, the previous internet address from which you linked directly to our site, and the type of browser you use.
• On making an application through the GEMSAS website for a place in a GAMSAT Consortium medical school, applicants will be required to provide personal information to ensure their application can be processed and assessed. Applicants will be required to give their explicit consent for the use of this information in the application form.
• Personal information you may provide to Service Provider staff if you use the on-line email form to direct a query regarding GEMSAS.
How Service Provider collects and holds information
Service Provider collects your personal information as specified above and holds this information in a secure database.
Service Provider also stores your personal information in a server located in Australia.
Purpose for which Service Provider collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information
As a contractor of the GAMSAT Universities, Service Provider will disclose your personal information to:
• GAMSAT Consortium Universities;
• Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre;
• The Australian Council for Educational Research
for the purposes of the graduate entry medical school admission process.
Visitor logs are used on this site for statistical purposes and to help make the site more useful (e.g.number of visitors to the different sections of the site). No attempt will be made to identify specific users or their browsing activities except where the GAMSAT Consortium or VTAC is required to do so by law.
Email addresses provided via this site will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it and will not be added to a mailing list or disclosed to any organisation that is not a member of the GAMSAT Consortium or engaged to provide services to the GAMSAT Consortium.
How an individual may access their personal information and seek correction
You have access to the personal information that we hold about you through the Review function, and you are encouraged to take reasonable steps to correct it if you consider it is incorrect by the application closing date. We will try to make the process as simple as possible.
You can complain to us in writing about how we have handled your personal information. We will respond to the complaint within 30 days. Please see the ‘contact us’ section of the website for how to contact us.